Thank you for your interest in working for Summer Discovery as a Resident Counselor. Since 1966 thousands of teenagers have joined us on Summer Discovery pre-college enrichment programs, Discovery Internships high school internship programs, or Jr. Discovery middle school enrichment programs. Last summer our enrollment included students from 43 states and over 80 countries.
Our students are outstanding members of schools from around the world. They come to Summer Discovery to experience college life while having the balance of supervision from our resident counselors. Our resident counselors provide the students with academic, social and emotional support, supervision at activities, insights into college success and more.
What might you be doing on any given day in the summer as one of our resident counselors? Here are just a few examples:
- Observe a business class of our students being taught by one of the most outstanding professors at the University.
- Encourage students to join in a “pick-up” volleyball game.
- Set up a study session in the evening for a particular class that the resident counselor has experience in.
- Escort students on a tour of a museum on campus.
- Enjoy a day with students and staff at one of the most outstanding theme parks in the world.
- Join students for dinner in the campus dining hall.
- Assist students struggling with roommate issues.
- Drive students to a new release movie and watch along with them.
- Be alert and observing students while enjoying the sunshine by a beautiful beach or pool.
- Stay up late to make sure all students are in the dorm for the evening and getting prepared for classes the next day.
- Organize and help produce a talent show hosted and presented by Summer Discovery students.
- Meet with staff and directors to discuss the best plans and support for students.
Summer Discovery is looking for amazing individuals with outgoing and caring personalities to work with high school students participating in pre-college enrichment programs this summer. Partnerships have been developed with Colleges and Universities to host high school students and provide them with experiential learning opportunities. Summer Discovery needs Summer Staff to live on campus, chaperone activities and watch over and take care of their own group of students.
What’s in it for you?
- Roundtrip Transportation, Dormitory Housing & Meals, Plus a Stipend
- Personal & Professional Development; Great Resume Builder
- Opportunity to See & Experience a New Location & New Challenge
- Available starting in June 2018 for a commitment of 4 to 10 weeks
- 21 years old prior to June 1, 2018
- Hold a valid US Driver’s License
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working long hours, nights and weekends
- Responsible, creative, patient and hardworking
- Safety minded; always willing to put students’ well-being first
- Orientation Leader, Residence Advisor, Camp Counselor, Educator and/or Coach
- Completed or Pursuing College or University Degree
- CPR Certified
- UC Santa Barbara
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Colorado Boulder
- University of Texas at Austin
- Johns Hopkins University
- Penn State University
- Georgetown University
- New York City
- University of Michigan
- Yale University
- This is a part-time summer contract with payment upon completion of program
- Compensation based on experience and duration of program