Experience an amazing campus at UC Santa Barbara, and learn to be independent with the help of our incredible staff. Known for its incredible recreation centers, access to surfing, beautiful coast line, and more, UC Santa Barbara is a great place to learn and spend your summer.
Our home on campus is Santa Cruz Residence Hall, overlooking the stunning Pacific Ocean. Here, you will be a part of a dynamic community of students and staff who live together in one residence hall.
Whether you’re watching a movie or working on a group project, it’s great to live with your friends. And if you have any questions, your Resident Counselor (RC) lives down the hall and is there for you 24/7.
- Live in double rooms with communal hallway bathrooms.
- Every room includes a bed, study desk, closet, and high-speed Internet.
- Lounges, game rooms, laundry facilities, and the Summer Discovery office are all in our residence hall. Relax outside at the picnic tables on our outdoor patio.
- You will be only a short walk from De La Guerra Dining Commons, academic buildings, the University Center (UCEN), the beach, and two outdoor pools. (Did we mention that we can see the Pacific Ocean from our windows?)
Eat in the modern De La Guerra Dining Commons (DLG). Enjoy three meals every weekday and two on weekends, when on campus. Choose from daily options at the salad bar, pizza oven, stir fry station, ice cream, and more. Are you a vegetarian? Do you have food allergies? Special diets are not a problem.
Our RCs are committed to the support and supervision of Summer Discovery students. Daily sign-ins and room checks are mandated for your safety. You are free to walk in small groups around campus, Isla Vista (IV), and Downtown Santa Barbara (our ‘home areas’). If you have a question, RCs are on duty to help.
Not feeling well? Summer Discovery staff make all medical appointments, accompany students to medical facilities, obtain prescription medications, and notify parents after medical visits. Appointments are made with Student Health Services or the Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital.
There are a great number of opportunities on campus to help you stay fit and have fun this summer. In addition to beach volleyball and biking around campus, UC Santa Barbara features extraordinary athletic and recreational facilities. You have access to them all.
- Recreation & Aquatics Complex
- Robertson Gym
- Harder Stadium
- Pauley Track
- Stadium Tennis Courts
- Do it your way. Organize pick-up games, workout at the Recreation & Aquatics Complex, go for a swim, or play tennis with a friend.
- Join a tournament. We coordinate games of soccer, volleyball, basketball, and other sports.
- Take a ‘Sports Plus’ class. Improve your skills through individual or team instruction with great coaches. (Fee applies. See below for details.)
You may choose to participate in one of the following ‘Sports Plus’ instruction sessions in the afternoons following your classes (not available for RMP & SERA students):
- Surfing the Pacific: Join the expert instructors from Ocean Adventures for this exhilarating water sport. No experience necessary. Meets for two hours, two times per week. (Please note: Students on the program may not surf on their own at any time.) Fee: $475
- Ocean Sports: This class will encourage students to become confident in the ocean by learning various skills while gaining a deeper understanding of our marine environment. Daily activities may include kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, boogie-boarding, surfing, body surfing, snorkeling through kelp forests, and ocean education. Meets two times a week, one hour and a half each session for four weeks. Fee: $200
- Drop-in Fitness: Try Step Aerobics, Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing, and more. Flexible class times are available to fit your schedule. Fee: $100
UCSB is a short walk (and bike ride) from the hip town of Isla Vista (IV). Cafés, surf shops, galleries, and boutiques line the streets. You can also explore Downtown Santa Barbara, just a short bus ride away. With over 50 restaurants and cafés, not to mention multiple movie theaters, everything is convenient. Come see why our UCSB students love this area.
Santa Barbara is a tourist destination known for its downtown beaches, shopping, dining, Spanish architecture, and warm weather.
- Soak up the sun at Leadbetter, Santa Barbara, or Goleta Beach.
- Get into the water and try a new ocean sport like paddle boarding.
- Take a hike the beautiful Paradise Road to Red Rock and cool off in the water.
- Interact with over 160 different animal species at the Santa Barbara Zoo.
- Bike along the Waterfront, grab a bite to eat or join a game of beach volleyball.
- Shop at hundreds of designer stores at the Camarillo Factory Outlets.
- Join a soccer game, take a yoga class, or work out in the Recreation Center.
- Grab an ice cream and relax in the ocean view lounges at the University Center (UCEN).
- Check out the masterpieces at Santa Barbara Museum of Art or the exhibits at The Maritime Museum
- Enjoy the bounce house, photo booth, and henna artists at the “Festival Under the Stars”.
- Watch this summer’s best movie blockbusters on the big screen.
- Explore the charm of Southern California by going on hikes, snorkeling, or surfing.
- Try your luck at our Trivia Nights or Rock-n-Roll Bingo Night.
- Learn about how to get into the school of your dreams at College Night.
- Show off your talent at the Summer Discovery “Talent and Award Show”.
- Ride the rollercoasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain or experience Universal Studios.
- Join the Channel Islands trip to kayak around the beautiful Anacapa Island
Fee applies for L.A. and Channel Island trips.