University of Pennsylvania
Global Culture and Communication Academy
The Global Culture and Communication Academy seeks to offer students a foundation for understanding the intricate and complex relationship between language, culture, communicative practices, and the role we play as individuals in the globalized world of today. The course will focus on key ideas to provide a basis for nuanced practices, reflections, and strategies that are associated with 21st-century skills and essential behaviors of a global citizen. The Global Culture and Communication Academy is fully residential with no commuter or online options.
Based on the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages Can-do statements, students will achieve various investigative and interactive objectives by the end of the course:
- In my own and other cultures, I can explain how stereotypes influence a country’s products or marketing strategies
- I can share my interpretations of a piece of art of music with someone else while respecting theirs
- I can respond to a social media post in a culturally appropriate manner
- In my own and other cultures, I can explain how globalized products impact society and individual lifestyles
- I can collaborate on an online project to explain misconceptions underlying stereotypes
- Through active learning, students will collaborate with their peers in activities that seek to promote nuanced reflection, keen observation, and transformative practices when engaging in intercultural communication.
- Jul 10 - Jul 28: Research Academy - $5,500
- University of PennsylvaniaAmerican Sign Language and Deaf Culture Academy An overview of topics integral to experiences of American deaf community members.Dates + Details
- University of PennsylvaniaSocial Justice Research Academy*NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW APPLICATIONS* Examine the struggles to overcome inequality and injustice.Sold OutDates + Details
- University of PennsylvaniaMathematics AcademyExamine mathematical concepts rarely offered at the high school level.Dates + Details