Summer Enrichment Programs for High School Students at Barnard College, Columbia University
Future Global Leaders Academy
This two-week academy brings together future leaders from across the globe to engage in hands-on projects that will tackle the United Nation’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Established in 2015 with input from many nations, these goals have the power to create a better world by 2030, by ending poverty, fighting inequality, and addressing the urgency of climate change. The Academy is designed to provide foundational knowledge, skills, and practical tools to create future leaders and address the fundamental challenge facing our world today: How do people, communities, businesses, and governments coexist, cooperate, and collaborate to save the one planet we have?
Students in this program are problem-solvers, go-getters, team players, and where they will work on original research to design solutions to their chosen problem. Teamwork will be paired with class time sessions where students will have guest instructors and panelists from a variety of sectors providing lessons on leadership, innovation, goal setting, problem-solving, and more.
As a student in the Future Global Leaders Academy, you'll spend your time engaged in a combination of class sessions, field trips, hands-on workshops, group discussions, and extracurricular activities.
- Students will build and enhance skills in design thinking, problem-solving, communication, social change, and contextualizing information about the UN SD's.
- Students will learn to solve real world problems through cross-sector collaboration and meet professionals from the United Nations, leading companies, NGO's, and public sector entities.
- Students will apply skills learned to implement solutions in a final project. Teams will be formed and presented with a real-world development challenge. Each team will design and pitch a solution to their classmates and mixed panel of live and virtual experts.
- Like a little friendly competition? Great! One team from each session will be selected for virtual recognition at the Ideagen Global Awards Gala in Fall of 2023.
Throughout the course of the program, you'll have the opportunity to develop 21st century skills, and broaden your awareness and understanding of the UN Global Goals and to drive solutions to achieve the goals by 2030:
- Awareness Campaigns
- Social Problems
- Public Speaking
- Creative Problem Solving
- Project Design
- Group Collaboration
- Jul 23 - Aug 4: Residential - $6,399
- Jul 24 - Aug 3: Commuter - $3,599